Monday, October 19, 2015

Lincoln's Birth Story - Part 1

As I started typing up Lincoln's birth story, I quickly decided to break it into two parts! I am documenting every detail I can remember because I never want to forget the day my little boy was born.

If you want the quick version, my labor and delivery went really well! Everything progressed perfectly, but slowly, and I was in labor for about 26 hours. It was long and hard, but I had amazing nurses and I couldn't have asked for a better experience.

Now, if you want the long version, here you go...

On Wednesday, September 30, 2015, I had my 39 week appointment with my OB/GYN. I was really looking forward to this appointment to see if I made any progress!  At my visit, the doctor checked and my cervix was soft, but still completely closed. The doctor reminded me that first babies typically stay in longer and this was normal. I was so upset and discouraged! I was uncomfortable and ready to meet my baby.

After my appointment, I met my coworker for lunch and told her how this baby seemed to be staying put for a while longer. After we ate, I came home, did some laundry, picked up the house, and took a nap. Here is a picture I snapped of my belly that day!  

Landon, Kimber, and I went to my dad's house that night for dinner, and I was complaining to everyone about how this baby was never going to come. My sister and I were both born early, so I was convinced during my whole pregnancy that Lincoln would be early. Now, it wasn't looking too promising.
Thursday morning, I woke up at 5:00AM with mild cramps. I didn't think too much about it. I had so many little aches and pains now that my due date was getting closer and closer. I woke Landon up, and told him I was moving to the couch to try and get more comfortable. Landon woke up around 6:45AM, and asked me how I was feeling. I told him I was still cramping but I was okay, so he took Kimber to the park to get some energy out. At 7:40AM, my cramping started coming in waves. I would have pain for a minute or so, then I would feel completely normal. I called Landon and asked when he would be home from the park. I explained that I was pretty sure I was having contractions!

He came home about 10 minutes later, and we started timing them. They were about a minute long, but were really irregular. They were anywhere from 3 minutes to 10 minutes apart. Here is a snapshot of the app I used to track them:

Landon decided to stay home from work, and we started googling "What do contractions feel like?" I also whipped out my copy of What to Expect When Your Expecting. All I learned was labor signs can be so different for everyone, so I had no idea what was going on. haha!

As the morning went on, the pains became more intense and regular.  With each contraction, I became more and more convinced that these were the real deal! I was starving, so I asked Landon to make some lunch. I wanted to eat a good meal in case I had to go to the hospital. He barbecued some pollo asada (yum!) and we ate. 

Shortly after we were done with lunch, my contractions were getting to the point where I had to stop what I was doing when I was going through one. I couldn't walk or talk through them. Some were really unbearable, and some just felt like strong cramps.  I called the doctor and asked when I should go to the hospital. They advised me to come in when they were 2-3 minutes apart.

Around 2:00PM, they were 3-4 minutes apart and getting really painful. We had a 30-40 minute drive to the hospital, so we packed everything up, gave Kimber kisses, and headed to Triage.

Check back this week for Part Two!

 Simply Chelsea


  1. I was timing mine (when I thought they were contractions) but I was so unsure about what type of *pain* to expect, so I brushed it off.. wasn't until I woke up in the middle of the night and felt them stronger did we decide to go to the hospital..and I was 10cm!

    1. WOW!!!! That is crazy! But how nice that you got to labor at home for so long! You must have been in shock when they told you that you were already at 10.

  2. Congrats! I'm glad I found your blog. I had my first baby 8 weeks ago. Looking forward to reading part 2.

    1. Thank you! Congratulations to you too... she is beautiful! :)